We are delighted to announce that we are launching the Addacus Bitesize Stringalong product, for use at home by parents. It contains coloured strings, cubes, cards and an instruction booklet to teach children all that they need to know about the characteristics of the numbers from 1 to 10. It is priced at £15.99 and would be an excellent Christmas present.
11 Primary Schools in York participated in gathering data to show the effectiveness of the Addacus Programme. 28 pupils took part and the average improvement in 10 weeks was 1.5 sub levels. These were wave 3 children and here are some of the comments:
Impact on attitudes to Learning and Self Esteem
Examples of teacher comments include:
- enjoyed taking part in the sessions and come back full of confidence.
- are more willing to take part in the normal class activities.
- are more confident
- are keener to put hand up in lessons
- are more enthusiastic about maths
- feel more confident to count forwards and backwards and to recognise the numerals.
- have improved confidence and self belief
- much better concentration in class as he understands better
- know they are making progress
- are proud of themselves when they achieve
- are much happier with maths
- have a feeling of achievement
- more confident using numbers up to 10 now.
- The colours of different numbers have helped consolidate understanding of number bonds to 10
- The programme has definitely improved A’s mathematical understanding, she approaches number problems with more confidence. (Child with communication difficulties)
- They have a more positive approach to their maths learning
- Some have even commented on the ‘ease’ of their maths work, which has further increased their confidence- they were asking it to be harder!
- The children are now more confident to ‘have a go’ at calculation questions
- Parents have noted that they are more enthusiastic about doing their maths homework
Good news from the Bradford area is that one of their schools has taken on Addacus in a big way and trained 75 staff
As well as reaching out to over 500 schools in the UK, we have sold Addacus products in the US, New Zealand, Cyprus, Spain, Brazil, and Saudi Arabia. We are now very excited to announce that we now have an agent based in Cape Town, South Africa.
“101 More Ways to use Addacus” is now available. It’s a booklet of additional ideas for teachers which includes Continuous Assessment Record Sheets. This is an ideal supplementary resource whether you’re using the full programme or not Order now
Following a successful awareness session with a go-ahead school in Essex, 21 of their reception pupils are getting into their new Addacus packs. We know from our experience everywhere else that their confidence and ability in number will take a big step forward. We’ll keep you posted.
8th March. Celia gave a presentation at a Senco Forum at Felstead Kindegarten School. 12 teachers attended and Anne Wood, the headteacher of the hosting school is planning a whole-staff training in September with a view to introducing the programme for whole school use and not necessarily as an intervention only.
This was music to our ears!
15th March. Celia ran a 3 hour Addacus Training Programme for the Derbyshire Learning Support Service attended by 24 of their members. The feedback was very positive.
Celia Stone will be giving a seminar at the NEC Education Show in Birmingham on 4th March. Her title is ‘Numeracy…from fear to fun’ and she will be demonstrating the benefits of Addacus.